About Me

My photo
Chicago
I have my degree in Interior Design and am fascinated with everything having to do with fashion and Interiors. I'm passionate about creativity, love, photography, beauty, and design.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Vintage Tattoos

Vintage Tattoos?



I came across this picture and found it very intriguing. If I saw a woman today with tattoos like this I wouldn't think much of it, as I myself have tattoos and find it normal. But in the time period this woman had tattoos? That took balls. Around 1850-1900 people who had tattoos were usually those involved in the circus freak shows. From 1900-1960 tattoos were a Sailor or Marine status and then became a symbol of criminality after felons partook in branding themselves for different felonies. This definitely was the turning point that made tattoos more ominous. This woman was obviously a daring and edgy woman in her time! She has an elegance to her despite her large body of artwork.

Here's the link I found this picture on, as well as many others from many many years ago.
http://funnytogo.com/pictures/vintage-tattoo/retro.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment